Keeping Up with the Joneses… The 10 Most Popular MMO Games
Online gaming is a constant evolution, as new games, new editions, and new installments of games are always entering into play. Massively multiplayer online games are hugely popular, with people meeting others from all over the world joining together to use strategy and teamwork to solve problems and conquer virtual worlds. There are so many different types, and while Role Playing Games have typically been the most popular, there are several different types.
While some games are constant contenders in popularity, there are others that have risen to fame over the course of the year, and people are talking about them. Anyone who wants to hold their own in a conversation about online gaming, or someone who is ready for a new game will benefit from knowing the most popular MMO games of the year in 2016. This list contains games with huge player bases and games that are frequently mentioned and played throughout the web.
- World of Warcraft: Probably one of the most popular online role-playing games, World of Warcraft has had many releases since it originated over twenty years ago. Players are pleased at the announcement of the new expansion to the virtual fantasy world, called Legion, due out at the end of August.
- Final Fantasy: With the last release of the game in 2014, players are awaiting the release of the XV version of the game. The popular game has had several core games as well as spin offs, making it one of the most well known games to gamers and non gamers alike.
- Riders of Icarus: Released for just over a month, Riders of Icarus is popular due in fact to its newness, and also for the fact that it is free to play. The notion of the game is that players find wild creatures in the game, capture them and train them for riding, setting it apart from other games.
- Tom Clancy’s The Division: After it was released in March, The Division is a game set in a dystopian Manhattan, available only online, that quickly grew to popularity as an open world third person shooter game.
- Landmark: Developed by Daybreak Game Company, Landmark has a release in June of 2016. The game was initially slated as a building tool for its sister game EverQuest Next, but has expanded into a world of its own.
- Kingdom Under Fire II: As part of the ever popular MMO Role Playing Game genre, Kingdom Under Fire II is filled with challenges requiring strategic in the Kingdom Under Fire series takes place after Circle of Doom.
- Total War: Arena: Published by Sega, Total War: Arena is part of the Total War series and is available on windows. The strategy game is free to play and features multiplayer online battle arena play.
8.Salem: This free game is set in the 17th century in New England During the witch trials era. Players have their fair share of things to do, from farming to battling, all with no shortage of witchcraft.
9.Titan Siege: Most notable for its incredible graphics and players ability to roam on foot, by water or by air wherever they would like, the game has its fair share of quirks but provides players with a lot of freedom
10.Hex: Shards of Fate: The first of its kind, Hex is a MMO trading card game that was born out of a Kickstarter campaign. The Game was released in January and has been very popular since its inception, as trading card games have maintained popularity over the years.